Once an alliance has reached six months of age, it is eligible to receive a custom alliance logo which may be proudly displayed within the alliance's description and elsewhere across the regions or assets that alliance may control.
- Alliances must be formed and active for 6 months before they are eligible to have an alliance logo approved.
- Alliance logos must be submitted by the Executor of the Alliance. No other character may submit an alliance logo on behalf of an alliance.
To see the age of an alliance, open the alliance's Show Info page and navigate to the Attributes tab as shown below.
Alliance logos are subject to guidelines and requirements which must be adhered to in order for the logo to be approved. Further, once a logo is approved it will undergo changes in order to be legally used within EVE Online. Please read the sections below for further details.
Alliance Logo Style Guidelines
Alliance logo designs are reviewed before being approved to ensure that they fit with the themes of EVE Online. A logo that meets the following guidelines will have a greater chance of being accepted.
Design & Theme
- Alliance logos should be designed so that they look and feel like they belong within the futuristic, dark and dystopian EVE universe.
- Logos with themes like warfare, corporations, science and space have a higher chance of approval.
- Reference to historical themes or imagery should be subtle. A well designed and modified version of a historical object that is designed to fit in the EVE Universe will in most case have a higher chance of approval than the definite interpretation of it.
- Many concepts and ideas from earth have evolved or been forgotten in the EVE Universe. Remember this when designing your logo.
- Common everyday motives/objects like mobile phones, modern guns, modern vehicles that fit poorly within the genre should be avoided.
- Complex pictures as logos will not read well. Clean logo designs are best, especially when zooming out a bit from your ship. Simple is often more iconic
- Cartoon images have a lower chance of approval, but if they are well produced and follow all the other requirements, then they will more likely be approved.
- Simple flat and abstract designs fit best in the EVE setting and have a higher chance of approval. They are also more recognizable, easier to read from the distance and work better when scaled down.
- Try to use classic, modern or futuristic fonts. Fonts like Papyrus, Lucida Handwriting and Brush Script don't fit in the EVE universe.
- Avoid using Photoshop filters like Lens Flare, Emboss, Blur and other such filters.
Textures should be avoided in your logo submissions.
- Logos should be submitted with an alpha channel. Using background colors can be acceptable for theming purposes (glows, color gradients and other background effects). However, avoid using white backgrounds.
- Be careful with line weight. Very thin lines will become jagged when rendered in game.
- The use of Bevel and Emboss, stroke outlines, drop shadow etc. will create unwanted noise and make the design harder to read.
- Colors should be chosen within the color range used in the EVE universe. That means colors should generally not be too saturated or bright or they will look like they belong in a different color space than the ship and its surroundings.
- Try to keep color harmony in mind. Try to use analogous colors and not too many complimentary colors together.
- Complimentary colors: sometimes a single color can be a little brighter or more saturated to make the image “pop“ or look more interesting.
- Black colors will become transparent. The logos will use a hologram shader where black color values become 100% transparent. This can be problematic with certain designs. Inverting the black will ensure it will show up
- Dark colors can work but might feel a little dull compared to brighter colors as they will be more vibrant once rendered as holograms.
In some cases, the brightness or color of the logo requires minor changes. In those cases, CCP will make those adjustments and approve the logo.
Submission Style Requirements
- Copyrighted material may not be submitted for use as an alliance logo.
- Real world national symbolism such as flags or crests may not be submitted for use as an alliance logo.
- Political symbolism may not be submitted for use as an alliance logo.
- Religious symbolism may not be submitted for use as an alliance logo.
- Imagery related to narcotics, drugs, slavery and other illegal activity may not be submitted for use as an alliance logo, unless these are clearly based on in game references to existing backstory, factions or organizations.
Submission Technical Requirements
- Logos must be submitted in 512x512 resolution.
- There is a very small (2 pixel) area on border that will mask out images. Use at least 2 pixel breathing room around borders to make sure there will be no clipping of the logo
- Formats accepted are 4 channel .PNG or .TGA with three color channels and one alpha (transparency) channel.
- DO NOT use premultiplied alpha.
The Submission Process
- Before submitting a logo, the Alliance executor should ensure that their email address is updated and verified in account management.
- In an email sent from this address, the Alliance Executor will include the following for confirmation:
- Alliance age.
- Approximate member count of the alliance.
- Name of the CEO of the executor corporation.
- Name of the executor corporation.
- Name of the alliance for which the logo has been submitted.
- Once the logo is prepared and the alliance requirements have been met, the logo can be submitted for approval by emailing it as an attachment to email@example.com. The email should contain the information requested above.
- Only the Executor of an alliance may submit a logo for approval. No other character may do so.
- All alliance logo submissions must be made in English. Submissions made in other languages will be disregarded.
- The logo should be sent as an attachment to this email with formatting as detailed in “Submission Technical Requirements”
- The logo will be reviewed, and if approved, it will be watermarked to create a derivative work and added to the game at the next available release after approval.
- If the logo is rejected, a response will be given detailing the reasoning for rejection.
Approved Logos and Watermarks
Upon accepting logos, the original design that is sent to CCP will be altered slightly and watermarked to create a derivative work that will be used to represent the alliance in the EVE universe. This derivative work will be packaged with the client and will be the property of CCP so that we can ensure that all content within the EVE client remains our property.
The original logo will then continue to be owned by its original creator and can be used however the alliance it represents sees fit outside the EVE Universe.
Examples of watermarked logos, which contain a texture to differentiate them from the original are shown below. These versions will be displayed within the EVE Universe:
- When can I expect to see my alliance logo in game?
- Alliance logos are uploaded to Tranquility approximately once every 8-12 weeks. This means that sometimes a submission will wait a short time before it appears in game or may wait up to three months for deployment.
- What should I do if I see an alliance logo in game that contains copyrighted material?
- If you find logos you believe are copywritten, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to make us aware, with references or examples of how the logo in game is breaching copyright.
- Will I lose copyright ownership of my alliance logo if I submit it?
No. CCP will create a derivative work of your alliance logo to use within the EVE Online client. This derivative work will be packaged with the client and will be the property of CCP so that we can ensure that all content within the EVE client remains our property. The original logo will then continue to be owned by its original creator and can be used however the alliance it represents sees fit outside the EVE Universe.